Announcements

Other places you can find me at: here and here.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June by Robin Benway

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: Three sisters share a magical, unshakeable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose? April, the oldest and a bit of a worrier, can see the future. Middle-child May can literally disappear. And baby June reads minds—everyone’s but her own. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls come together to save the day and reconcile their strained family. They realize that no matter what happens, powers or no powers, they’ll always have each other. Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood.

Review: This book was absolutely fantastic. While it wasn't as great as Audrey, Wait! it seems just as real as it. I have two younger sisters myself, so I could totally relate to this book, minus the magical powers part. April was just terrific--probably my favorite out of the three. I just want to befriend all three sisters. Their high school lives are absolute chaos, but with their powers, it makes them feel better. They don't realize they are capable of something much, much more. The romance part just made this book even more fun to read. Thinking about this book makes me squee with delight.

All three sisters have different personalities, which help them stand out. I wasn't sure if the magical part of this book could be pulled off, but it did. It was super hilarious and witty!Sometimes, though, I would forget to read the headings and not realize it was April I was reading about and not June, or some other combination. Or maybe I'm just absent minded...The pacing was good, despite some parts that dragged out. Sometimes, I just felt like the plot line lacked depth. Otherwise, I loved it! The three sisters really are strong together rather than by themselves. This novel will melt your hearts, but not without making you laugh first.

What I thought of...

The Beginning: I love them already!!

The Middle: Perfect tongue-in-cheek story!

The End: Awwwwww.

Favorite part:
"Yeah, well," I said. "You have no idea how crazy I am. I should be wearing yellow CAUTION tape. I'm that bonkers."
He laughed again. He had a really deep, hearty laugh. "So what's your name?"
"April."
Julian nodded. "Well, I'm sorry I littered, April."
"Well, I'm sorry I yelled at you."


FTC: Received from publisher for review

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Ooh, there's romance in it? I didn't expect it since I thought it was all about the sisters! Very interesting.. .

LOL@the yellow caution tape bit. That's too funny-and cute. :D

Emma said...

I loved Audrey, Wait! This looks so good. Awesome review.

Briana said...

Aw I'm glad you liked it! This sounds like something I might like.

* said...

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a delightful read.