Announcements

Other places you can find me at: here and here.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Espressologist by Kristina Springer

The Espressologist by Kristina Springer
Rating: 4.3/5

Synopsis: What’s your drink of choice? Is it a small pumpkin spice latte? Then you’re lots of fun and a bit sassy. Or a medium americano? You prefer simplicity in life. Or perhaps it’s a small decaf soy sugar-free hazelnut caffe latte? Some might call you a yuppie. Seventeen-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. She scribbles it all down in a notebook and calls it Espressology. So it’s not a totally crazy idea when Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders. Like her best friend, Em, a medium hot chocolate, and Cam, a toffee nut latte. But when her boss, Derek, gets wind of Jane’s Espressology, he makes it an in-store holiday promotion, promising customers their perfect matches for the price of their favorite coffee. Things are going better than Derek could ever have hoped, so why is Jane so freaked out? Does it have anything to do with Em dating Cam? She’s the one who set them up! She should be happy for them, right? With overtones of Jane Austen’s Emma and brimming with humor and heart, this sweet, frothy debut will be savored by readers.


Review: This book is simply amazing and hilarious! I never wanted it to end. I was so extremely stoked to get this in the mail and tore open the package almost immediately. I hadn't known this book was in it, but when I did, I did some major squealing. How gorgeous is the cover? The book jacket is awesome with its coffee stains and if you take the book jacket off, there's even a coffee stain on the cover of the actual book. All the coffee talk in this book made me want one. I learned you should never read a book about food when you're hungry ;)

Meanwhile, the characters in this fabulous book are so loveable. Jane Turner is a hilarious and awesome female protagonist. Her personality made me laugh a lot and her observations about the type of person someone is by the coffee they order are spot on. Also, Em is a wonderful best friend that everyone would want to have. I wanted to know more about Cam, though. He seemed like such a sweet boy. All the characters were truly endearing. An author often tries to create characters for us to adore them and this author succeeded. At least for me, that is. However, I would have liked for the characters to be explored a little bit more. They were great, but something about them was missing.

The Espressologist was a great book for a debut novel. I don't know how Kristina Springer did it, but her work of art exceeded my expectations. I knew I'd enjoy it, but I didn't know I'd enjoy it THIS much. It was a quick and entertaining read. Go buy it now!

What I thought of...

The Beginning: Great start. I could feel the tone and the mood of the story as soon as I finished the first chapter.

The Middle: This is where the fun begins. I simply adored the interaction between the awesome Jane and whoever she talked to.

The End: Such a satisfying ending. I wanted more though. But then again, I am always greedy when it comes to good books.

The only complaints I have are the number of pages and something else. 192 pages only? I wanted more...My other complaint is that I have to mail it soon. *tear* I need to ask for this as a Christmas present or something.

I cannot wait to see what else this author has in store for us in her next novels.

FTC: Got a copy from publisher for Other Shelf Tours

7 comments:

Maddie said...

Thanks for the awesome review! I am going to pick this up tomorrow. Your review reassured that.

Leslie said...

thanks for the awesome review! :D can't wait to read this one!

Sandy said...

I can't wait to get this in the mail either! I know I'll be tearing the package once I do xD.

The girl on the cover makes me think of Taylor Swift a little... o.O

brizmus said...

This book sounds great! I haven't even read it yet, and you're already making me hope there will be a sequel.

Camryn said...

I've heard so many good things about this book. I can't wait to read it.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love your review style. You always give me a real feel for the book.

Anonymous said...

Like your review style. I should really get along to reading this because I've wanted this, Willow, and another book for a long time.

I found you since you won sistersred contest and you live in california too!