Announcements

Other places you can find me at: here and here.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Karma Club by Jessica Brody

The Karma Club by Jessica Brody
Rating: 4.86/5

Synopsis: Madison Kasparkova always thought she understood how Karma works. It’s that mysterious, powerful force that brings harmony to the universe. You know—do good things and you will be rewarded, do something bad and Karma will make sure you get what’s coming to you. A sort of cosmic balancing act.

But when Mason Brooks, Maddy’s boyfriend of two years, gets caught tongue-wrestling with Miss Perfect Body Heather Campbell, and absolutely nothing happens to either of them—except that they wind up the hot new couple of Colonial High School, it seems like Karma has officially left Maddy in the lurch. That’s why Maddy and her best friends, Angie and Jade, decide to start the Karma Club—a secret, members-only organization whose sole purpose is to clean up the messes that the universe has been leaving behind. Whether they’re modifying Heather Campbell’s acne cream as part of “Operation Butterface,” or righting a few wrongs when it comes to Angie and Jade’s own slimy exes, they know they’re just doing what Karma should have done in the first place. They’re taking care of one another.

Sometimes, though, it isn’t wise to meddle with the universe. Because it turns out, when you mess with Karma, Karma messes back. Now Maddy must find a way to balance her life for good, even as everything around her seems to be toppling to the ground.

Review: I've been meaning to read this book for quite some time. I was going to borrow it from my friend when it arrived at my front door in a box! *gasp* I had no idea what happened, but the label said it was from Free Book Friday . Being the old, forgetful me, I forgot I even entered the contest. So after freaking out about actually winning a book--a signed one too!--in many months, I had to resist from reading this. it didn't help that the book kept teasing me on the shelf. Anyway, this is not a personal blog so I'll stop from my ranting here and proceed to review! Yes.

Ever since I watched the trailer, I was intrigued, and wanted to read it right away, but didn't get the chance to until this week! It was so wonderful, funny, and endearing. A lot of the elements in this story were pretty cliche, but they clicked (get it, cliche...clicked?...if you don't take away though "h" sound...alright I'll shut up...)! The Karma Club was full of laughs, especially during their operations to set the balance. Watching them plan and act out their revenge was both hilarious and nervewrecking. The cover already told me that Karma would mess back, so all I could think was...when would that happen? When it did, I wasn't completely shocked, but it definitely kept me eyes glued to the pages, awaiting to see how the MC would fix things.

One of the few things I disliked was how Maddy was in the beginning of the book; the way she idoled Heather and how she wanted to become popular--it just kind of irked me. Nevertheless, she reedeemed herself. The romance was also just the right amount, and her friends? They definitely deserve one of those "YA BFF Awards," which I'm sure they don't have. I can dream though! All in all, I recommend reading this. With summer coming up, this refreshing book will lift your spirits even higher!


What I thought of...

The Beginning: I got hooked on easily, but would have liked the action to start on earlier.

The Middle: Full of laugh out loud moments! It was so enjoyable.

The End: I would have liked more closure. I guess it was tied up well at the end, but something about it throws me off, like the book isn't fully complete yet.

Favorite quote from book:

"Yes. If something you did brought you faliure, then shouldn't the exact opposite bring you success?"


FTC: Won from Free Book Friday

3 comments:

Briana said...

Great review :)!!

-Briana

Robby said...

Can't wait to read this, and Jessica Brody's adult books. They all sound so great. :D

Emma said...

This looks really excellent. Nice review!