Announcements

Other places you can find me at: here and here.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

[I'm really behind on my reviews. I have to check Goodreads just to know what books I have left to review...I think it's this awful flu I have. But that's not an excuse, hehe. Anyway, here is my attempt at another review before I head off for more medicine. ]

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: Until three months ago, everything about sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at an art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes far from ordinary. Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe he's trouble, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. Instead she's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help – but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something...but he's not the only one with a secret.

Review: This book amazed me! 0_0 The writing and the plot was fantastic. I was never bored. It was also quite terrifying at parts, but that was mainly because of the suspense. I never knew what psychometry was until I read this book. The stalker is downright creepy! :O Everytime I saw one of his entries, I was shocked at how psycho he was. I never knew what was coming; I would try to guess, but I would be proved wrong. I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of predictable books so this one was great for me! It was only around 242 pages and was packed with great suspense. I really cannot wait for the sequel, Deadly Little Lies, to come out.

What I didn't like about it was the characters. It was just unrealistic that Camelia and her friends never really did anything about the whole stalker situation. All they did was talk about what NOT to do. Camelia did not tell her parents anything even after she knew that creepy stalker has been inside her room. Another thing I don't like is Camelia's and Ben's "relationship." I don't think it was developed enough; more like Camelia's hormones and like of Ben's mysterious personality(and the fact that he saved her) got the best of her. I know they have feelings for each other, though. But it wasn't shown as strong as I hoped it would. Nevertheless, it was a great read! :) Props to the author for this magnificent story.

What I thought of...

The Beginning: The beginning hooked me from the first couple of sentences.

The Middle: Here is where I start forming predictions of who this "stalker" may be. I tried guessing the stalker as the most obvious person...

The End: Oh , god. This was one of the most suspenseful endings I've ever read. The stalker turned out to be this other obvious person. Although I was a bit disappointed that I was wrong, it was an okay ending. (Cliffhangers are a no-no...-_-)

2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

O great review! You make me want to read it.

Anonymous said...

i love this book and the sequel i think they are so great i usually hate this genre