Announcements

Other places you can find me at: here and here.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller
Rating: 4.3/5

Synopsis: What if love refused to die? Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was. In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

Review: I was deeply impressed with this book! I hadn't read a book about reincarnation for a relatively long time so I was more than swept up--my nose was under this book for hours! The third person narration knocked me off a bit, but it worked. If you're looking for something mysterious and unpredictable, this is the pick for you. This book is more than just a rollercoaster of revelations and emotions; it's incredible.

Let's start with the bad; I found Haven too naive. She trusted everyone so easily. One second she'd be on Iain's side, and the next, she'd be plotting against him. This cycle repeated throughout the book, and it got boring. I guess it did make the book more mysterious though because I never knew who was really good or bad. And those visions Haven would get--she would have understood everything if they came sooner! But that last complaint is nothing because it gives us revelations we experience together with Haven.

Onto the good stuff:

The romance was very well done. The intense chemistry between Haven and Iain was clear right when she found him in NY, and it was so sweet. I thought it was implausible that they'd be so comfortable with each other in such a short time, but then again, they've known each other for years and years. Their struggle to trust each other and for Haven to learn the truth is what kept me flipping through the pages.

Even at it being over 400 pages, I still wanted more. That's saying something. Although this book might not be for everyone, it was one of my favorites. I'd reread it!

What I thought of...

The Beginning: The attention grabbing didn't start for me here. It was shaky at first because I was just thrown into the story without information.

The Middle: Gosh, I don't even know where to begin. Like Haven, I couldn't trust anyone. I'd warm up to them, but then the next chapter would send my thoughts flying out the window. This is what I call mystery, and it was done almost perfectly.

The End: Kind of cliched, but I loved it.

Favorite Quote: [N/A: Let one of my blogger friends borrow it so I can't search up that quote.]

I will be giving my ARC copy away soon! So keep checking back.

FTC: Received from publisher for review.

2 comments:

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

I can't wait for this to be released. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

Emma said...

Awesome review. This book looks great.