Announcements

Other places you can find me at: here and here.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

Review: One word: EPIC. All capitalization intended. I had picked this up last night at B&N, bought it, and wondered if I'd like it or not. I dropped all the books I was reading for A&R, and did not regret it one bit. I found myself reading until 3 in the morning, and the first thing I did when I woke up was open it to the page where I left off. Read when eating? Check. Read when in the bathroom? Check. Read when in the car? Check. Basically, I took this book wherever I went.

The book is not short, but not too long either. It ranges in the 300's, but I wanted it to go BEYOND that. The ending was very open and yet closed at the same time. For me, this is not only the best debut of this year. Right now, it is the BEST BOOK OF ALL TIME. I am so happy that I bought this book, and will keep it on my shelf forever. It is a book you can read over and over and over...you get what I mean.

The romance is there from the start. There is amazing chemistry between the two main characters, but their relationship doesn't form until near the end. It is so worth it, though! As for the story, I felt like it was done very well--structured so amazingly that it all really makes sense at the end. Every single word.

Amy was an incredible character to read about. You can see subtle changes in her, and by the end of the book, I was so proud of her. You see, she's not only strong. She is brave. I liked that she did things on an impulse.I don't think she's afraid anymore than she used to be. She will forever remain one of my favorite female characters. Besides, she's a killer navigator...

The book contains scrapbooks, notes, e-mails, and many of other elements that make this book memorable. Read every single one of them. Especially the last one!! They're heartwarming and funny.

Matson did a brilliant job. I cannot wait for her any of her future work! I hope to have them all on my shelf.

What I thought of...

The Beginning: I loved how it began. Two people who barely knew each other embark on a full-blown adventure. It never lets you go.

The Middle: Read, read, read! I need moreeeee.

The End: It feels open, but when you turn the page, there's a receipt there...*insert awws*

Favorite Quote from Book:

"I was trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, but that's hard to do when you're talking to a window. People kept walking by and looking at me."

FTC: Bought this from B&N

8 comments:

Dahlia (TheBookShopaholic) said...

Thanks for the lovely review. I'll make sure to pick this up soon. =)

Kelsey said...

Yay 5/5! Can't wait to read my own copy of this :)

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

This soudns so amazing! I'm definitely going to have to get myself a copy of this.

Kaylyn said...

I was drawn into this novel with it's cover. Your review makes me want to read it really bad! Thanks! :)

Emma said...

Oh wow, now I DEFINITELY have to read this one. I haven't read anything for the YA Debut Authors' Challenge anyways.

a flight of minds said...

I saw this one just the other day and thought it sounded interesting! Sadly, I didn't buy it... and now I'm kind of regretting it. It's definitely on my list of books to get my hands on now though. :) Thanks for the great review!

- Alex

Sandy said...

GAH. Another book you've made me want to read... Man, my list will never end now. LOVELY review<3

Victoria Stewart said...

I found your blog on youtube and I'm hooked! I can't wait to read this!!!